Phone: +34 669782873
She obtained her Bachelor´s degree in Medicine at the University of Valencia (Spain) in 1993. Between 1995 and 1998 she developed her PhD at “La Fe University Hospital” in Valencia. She received her Doctors degree in Medicine by the Miguel Hernandez University (Elche) in 2009. In 2008 she joined the Perinatal Research Group of the Health Research Institute at the Hospital La Fe (IIS La Fe) led by Dr. Máximo Vento. She is a member of the Research Committee of the Spanish Society of Neonatology since 2009 and a tutor for resident physicians since 2005. Her research has been focused on neonatal development centered care, early neonatal discharge and oxygen toxicity in neonatal resuscitation.
Current Research Projects:
1. PRESOX: Extremely low gestational age neonates randomly assigned to be blindly resuscitated with 21% vs. 60% oxygen: influence upon mortality and chronic conditions in the neonatal period. (co-PI)
2. Skin to Skin: Comparison of heart rate and oxygen saturation measured by pulse oximetry between healthy late-preterm infants either undergoing early skin-to-skin contact or not. (PI)
3. European non-interventional post-authorization study to assess drug utilization and safety of caffeine citrate (Peyona) in treatment of premature infants (PI, (CCD-0905-PR-0028)
4. EUROPAIN: European survey of sedation and analgesia practices for newborns admitted to intensive care units
5. “NannyTex”: Non-intrusive monitoring system for babies.
Most relevant publications
P. Sáenz, M. Brugada, B. De Jongh, A. Sola, E. Torres, L. Moreno, M. Vento, A survey of intravenous sodium bicarbonate in neonatal asphyxia among European neonatologists: gaps between scientific evidence and clinical practice, Neonatology 99 (2011) 170-176.
P. Sáenz, M. Cerdá, J.L. Díaz, P. Yi, M. Gorba, N. Boronat, P. Barreto, M. Vento, Psychological stress of parents of preterm infants enrolled in an early discharge programme from the neonatal intensive care unit: a prospective randomised trial, Arch Dis Child Fetal 94 (2009) F98-F104.
P. Sáenz, L. Moreno, B. DeJongh, M. Aguar, M. Brugada, A. Gimeno, R. Escrig, A. Ledo, M. Vento, Use of intravenous bicarbonate in asphyctic neonates in Europe: differences of approach between countries, Arch Dis Child 93 (2008) pw263.
P. Sáenz, M. Vento, V. Roqués, Programa de alta precoz neonatal para el niño pretérmino en la Comunidad Valenciana, Editado por Generalitat Valenciana Consellería de Sanidad – EVES (2011), ISBN: 978-84-482-4561-0, Depósito Legal: V-370-2011 (book).
M. Vento, M. Aguar, J. Escobar, A. Arduini, R. Escrig, M. Brugada, I. Izquierdo, M.A. Asensi, J. Sastre, P. Sáenz, A. Gimeno, Antenatal steroids and antioxidant enzyme activity in preterm infants: influence of gender and timing, Antioxid & Redox Sign 11 (2009) 2945-2955.
M. Vento, M. Aguar, T.A. Leone, N.N. Finer, A. Gimeno, W. Rich, P. Saenz, R. Escrig, M. Brugada, Using intensive care technology in the delivery room: a new concept for the resuscitation of extremely preterm neonates, Pediatrics 122 (2008) 1113-1116.
R. Escrig, L. Arruza, I. Izquierdo, G. Villar, P. Sáenz, A. Gimeno, M. Moro, M. Vento, Achievements of targeted saturation values in extremely low gestational age neonates resuscitated with low or high oxygen concentrations: a prospective, randomized trial, Pediatrics 121 (2008) 875-881.